Thursday, December 01, 2005

A First Step

Today was my first day as WCTV's Station Director and as good a day as any to start this blog. Today was a bit of a whirlwind with meeting so many people and seeing some of the exciting things going on at the station. Perhaps I'll just start with introducing myself.

My name is John Oak Dalton, originally from Muncie though I now call beautiful Farmland, Indiana, my home. I graduated from Ball State University with a BS in Telecommunications and an MS in Information and Communication Sciences. I previously held television production positions at WXOW-TV and WIPB-TV before getting involved in educational media production at Ball State, and later managed an Information Technology subunit at the university. I have also served as an adjunct instructor at the university, teaching media writing and video production.

But I have had an interest in cables access, community TV, and grassroots DV my whole adult life. I have produced many programs for cable access on my own and have been involved in microcinema, 'zines, and other forms of independent media. This past summer I had a great opportunity to be involved with Microcinema Fest in Palatine, Illinois, judging entries, doing some MCing at screenings, and leading a "Film Boot Camp" for aspiring filmmakers from all around North America.

As soon as I figure out my new phone number and email address, I will post it! And I hope to hear from all of you.

John

No comments: